Monday, April 16, 2012

Thoughts

Here are some random thoughts I have been having lately mixed with real life happenings...



Potty Training

On a Tuesday, about a month ago, Mason decided that he was too big to use the potty seat (the little seat you put on top to catch boy's pee and help with little bums) and Lily took off her diaper and declared that she was going to start going on the potty, and she did.... mostly :)  This was a big deal in many ways.  We have been having a hard time with Mason having to go anywhere besides home and I was not with him to help him "aim."  He is going to a real pre-k next fall so I knew we needed to practice with out the seat so he would be confident.  It was a little, a lot, messy at first but he finally has figured it out.  And now he finally learned how to go standing up which is wonderful and less messy for the most party, yay! 

I may shoot (not with a camera) anyone who mentions to me that girls are easier to potty train than boys.  Because let me tell you in the case of Lily Newman it is not true, ha!  We have been going about this for months, I really wanted to wait until after our trip to Seattle/Utah in June because Oliver is still little and by then she would be three and maybe would get things a little better.  Of course this is just from my experience with Mason because we waited until he was almost 3 (just a couple weeks shy) and he picked it up quick, hardly any accidents and trained himself at night.  It was awesome, he was amazing and it was pretty easy.  Lily has a mind of her own and I think she really wants to be a big kid like Mason, but she gets distracted by "shiny things."  

She has been doing better this last week.  I was letting her choose if she wanted a polka dot diaper (target diapers), a "princess diaper" (pull up), or underwear (if we were at home and not going anywhere) Since she still hadn't figure out going poo I was not pushing her to wear the underwear, I didn't want another mess to clean up and really I didn't want to do this potty training thing in the first place.  She has been doing great with peeing so that is awesome.  Then all the sudden she started getting to the bathroom and going number 2 all by herself for about 3 days straight, so I though we should just take away the diaper option and let her wear her big girl pants since she was figuring things out.  That seemed to work for Mason but like I said before she gets distracted by shiny things :)  So now she wears underwear at home and if we are going to be gone for a long time out of the house I put a pull up on her just because I am not ready to deal with accidents somewhere else.

Sleeping

So sleep around here is a rare occurrence I feel like, and the funny part it isn't because of my little baby, he actually sleeps pretty well!  Between him and Lily, and sometimes Mason I feel like I am up 3 or 4 times at night.  Lily went through this phase that looked like she was sleep walking, sometimes she was scared and sometimes she had to go potty.  But even when she got up in the night she started waking up at 6 or 6:30 argh.  And she won't take naps hardly ever which is such a pain and makes her cranky at the drop of hat, I can't wait for this phase to be over or for her to hit a growth spurt or something!

Oliver wakes up once but he goes right back to sleep after I feed him.  We finally put him in his own room because he is outgrowing his basinet, plus I needed to really sleep for the increments of time that I was allotted :)  It was sad for me this time to put him in the other room, I don't remember it being like that with the other 2.  Oh he slept 7.5 hours last night, that is his longest stretch yet, I hope he keeps it up!  I have been way more lax on the whole routine/schedule sleep thing this time around mostly because I don't have time to stress over and we are out and about so much.

Random

I love being a mom, but it is sure is hard work.  I am so grateful once again that Heavenly Father has blessed me to be able to have my 3 children.  They certainly keep me on my toes, make me crazy and yet so full of love.  One of my favorite quotes in this last general conference was by President Packer, "One of the greatest discoveries of parenthood is that we learn far more about what really matters from our children than we ever did from our parents.  We come to recognize the truth in Isaiah's prophecy that 'a little child shall lead them.'"  I really learn a lot from my kids, right now especially patience and flexibility.  So thank you Mason, Lily and Oliver even though you can drive me to the looney bin some days :)  I love you 3 with all my heart and your most wonderful and amazing dad!  I couldn't do this with out him!!!

Pictures?  Ok of course :)




1 comment:

Brian and Emily said...

April, your kids are so beautiful! I love the colored picture of the 3 on their backs. Lily has such a sweet expression on her face.

I wish you more sleep :)