Tuesday, May 26, 2009

square foot garden

We had the most gorgeous Memorial Day weekend here in the northeast, and Danny and I were able to get a lot of things done around the house. That included finishing our garden. I read a book called My Square Foot Garden by Mel Bartholomew that a friend recommended because our backyard has grubs and moles and is really really wet so we didn't want to dig into our yard... but build up! Hopefully it works out :) Here are some pictures...


Danny showing Mason how to use the hose to wet down our pile of "dirt"

Danny mixing our combo of compost and peat moss and other stuff to put in our box

our box is filled and "squared" off with twine

Mason helping me (actually trying to steal the shovel) to level off the soil

picking out the seeds

putting the seed in the hole

he was so cute and careful about putting the seeds in the hole, he kept signing more, more!

patting down the soil to cover the seeds


Overall Mason was good and helpful... until he got mad and threw a whole bunch of carrots seeds all over. Oh and I was special and planted melons and green beans in the same square so that should be interesting when they start growing!!! I can't wait to see if something actually sprouts in the next couple of weeks :)

1 comment:

LAINA said...

That is awesome. That is really the only reason I would want a house right now, to have a garden. I hope it works for you, you will have to keep us updated and let us all know.