Thursday, April 14, 2011

Coconut Lime cupcakes


The other day we had a cupcake competition at church for a relief society activity.  It was fun and yummy, even though I had a bit of a tummy ache after sampling so much deliciousness!  I made coconut lime cupcakes and I thought they were pretty yummy so I thought I would share.  I adapted it from this recipe online.  Most I used cocunut milk instead of butter milk and made up my own frosting, which as you can see from the picture above turned out yummy but messy!

Coconut Lime Cupcakes with a White Chocolate Lime Glaze

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 heaping teaspoon grated lime zest
1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut milk (I think I used a little more)
1 1/3 cups loosely packed sweetened coconut flakes (3.5 ounces)
Toasted cocunut for topping
Lime zest for topping
 
You can look at the direction on the link I gave up top or do what I did and mix all the wet ingredients well together in the mixer, all the dry in a separate bowl and mix.  Then slowly add the dry mixture into the mixer.  I added the coconut at the end.   Bake at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Frosting:
I make a really yummy cake with a great chocolate frosting.  I didn't like the reciepe for the white chocolate frosting on the website so I thought I would substitute white chocolate for the chocolate chips and it would work out fine... well it tasted really really good but it was super wet, like a glaze.  And as you can see from the picture above it made a huge mess!  We had to get out a fan to blow on the cupcakes to get it to set faster, haha.  Either way this is the reciepe I used, just treat it like a glaze, or try something else and let me know how it worked!

White Chocolate Lime Glaze

5 T of butter
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
6 oz white chocolate
freshly squeezed lime juice

Melt butter in the pan then add the sugar and milk.  Bring to a rolling boil (wait until it starts getting foamy to time) and boil for 1 minute ( I think I may not have cooked it long enough and that is why it was runny, not sure)  Turn off heat, add white chocolate and stir until melted and mixed together.  Squeeze in some fresh lime juice to taste, I used about 1 lime worth (this also could have caused the runnyness, not sure!)

Let the glaze cool a bit and spread on cool cupcakes.  Add come toasted coconut and lime zest to top and enjoy!

2 comments:

Kim and Steve said...

These look delicious! I am always looking for new recipes, thanks! ps, your kids are adorable. I love all your pictures.

True*Lu said...

So did you win??? That's pretty dang creative of you! Looks like oooey-gooey goodness to me.