Saturday, December 1, 2012

Oliver 10 months and nursing strike

Oh my sweet little baby we had a really hard month.  Right before Thanksgiving Oliver got sick and an ear infection plus he ripped that little piece of skin that connects the gum to the lip (I can't remember what it was called but it got swollen and I am sure it was sore) which resulted in a 10 day nursing strike.  It was the most awful and emotional time I have gone through as a mom.  I felt so rejected and sad and mad at this little baby and I didn't understand what was going on.  Mason and Lily both went on little strikes but never for more than 24 hours.  I was so worried that I was going to loose my milk supply because he wasn't getting anything out.  I started pumping and that didn't really work (it never has for me) but I was hoping with faith the the stimulation alone would be enough to keep up my milk supply.

The extra hard part was the lack of support I felt I had.  I didn't really say to much, though I posted a couple of updates on facebook.  I searched the web with stories about nursing strikes most of them ending in a "self weaned" baby.  I knew this wasn't self weaning because it was abrupt and upsetting for both of us.  Self weaning should be gradual and happy.  Anyway looking on the web most people weaned their baby in similar situations, I found very few positive outcomes and that was upsetting.  I already had a doctors appointment planned because of Oliver's 9 month check up.  Well I love my kids doctor in every situation except this because he answer to the problem was "well he could just be ready to wean"  AHHHHHHH I was so upset and I immediately asked for the phone number to the lactation department at the hospital my kids were born at.  

Let me interrupt my story really quick to relay that I don't judge anyone who weaned their baby at any time for any reason.  Sometimes it is a choice of the mom and sometimes it isn't.  For me it wasn't an option to wean him because 1. he was only 9 months old and I had it in my brain to try and nurse to 18 months 2. he didn't take a bottle and I wasn't excited to give him formula and most importantly 3 it was NOVEMBER we still had a whole winter to get through and that seems like the worst time to wean a baby when I can give him a lot of the medicine to keep him well.  So I really didn't want to wean, I think if I wasn't so insistent on those reasons I would have weaned him, it was that bad so I don't judge anyone who has or feels like they should :)

So after the irritating doctors appointment I called the lactation department and the woman I talked to was amazing and so supportive.  She made me feel like my persistence was valid and all the emotions I was feeling valid.  She helped me feel calm and gave me some techniques and ideas to help him start nursing.  Mind you this is about 6 days into the strike.  Her advice was to offer the boob to him frequently and happily, if he wanted to nurse for second great, if not great.  I should always be calm and not forceful and not get emotional.  Also walking around while nursing, which I did frequently and nurse when sleepy or asleep.  I tried all these techniques even waking him up before I went to bed to try and sleep nurse.  It worked sometimes but not really, I think his ears must have hurt him really bad.  Anytime he would wake up during the night I would try and nurse him ( which was every couple of hours because he was sick)  I gave him tylenol and IBprofuen but nothings seemed to help.  

The other thing that really helped was that one of my friends had gone through a similar situation, I am so glad I asked her about it.  I kept that story in my mind as I prayed and tried to stay positive that this horror had to end soon!  

Eventually he would try and nurse but I really don't think I had much milk yet because he would suck and suck and suck and nothing would come out.  I tried so hard to stay calm because being tense doesn't help with let down.  Then all of the sudden one night he just nursed, it was a miracle and I am pretty sure I cried in gratitude for the next couple of weeks each time he nursed!  

So if you are reading this and may be in a similar situation know that you can do it!  Be calm, frequent and it will happen.  Pump even if you don't get much out like me, I know that helped.  And be grateful for the wonderful snuggle time you have with your baby! 

And thanks to Danny for being amazing, I was an emotional wreck (even more than usual) and Danny helped alot around the house with the kids etc.  I am so grateful for him!  Ok now for some pictures of this cute baby!  










No comments: