Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bye bye binky!



Yesterday Mason was fighting his nap big time. Not an unusual thing since he has been teething again (1 second molar down, 2 coming now, 1 to go!) I was trying to keep him quiet because Lily was taking a nap and I didn't want him to wake her. Anyway he was refusing to take his binky (which is usually my bribe and source of quiet) So I told him ok, then I am going to throw them away. "OK mom!"

WHAT?!?!?!

I kinda freaked out a little, said ok I am going to throw them away, and sat outside his room so he would fall asleep quietly, WITHOUT a binky.

So he took a nap, shorter than usual (which I was not particularly happy about since he didn't really take a nap on Sunday because we have 1 o'clock church)

Anyway... I was debating on what to do that night, should I let him have it so we could sleep or keep up with the whole bye bye binky? I was originally planning on weaning him after his molars came in...

Well I thought since he said it was ok, and seemed to be fine with it that we stuck to the "mommy threw them in the garbage" (I still haven't thrown them away yet) And that if he slept with out a binky, we would go and buy a new toy in the morning.

Well it took him an hour to fall asleep, mostly he was playing and staling but with a few stuffed animals he fell asleep!

Success!

I was sad though, my little boy is officially growing up, and I can't stop him. I don't even have control on when he gives up his binky.

He woke up at 1:30 calling for his binky, I was sad. I wanted to give in. I woke up Danny to ask him what to do... I went to check on him and all he wanted was another stuffed animal and a reminder that he would get a toy.

Success again!

He then woke up at 5:30. I went in a laid on the floor next to him to see if he would fall back to sleep. He didn't, but I made him stay there and be quiet for an hour and then I got Danny to take him downstairs so I could sleep until Lily woke up.

I knew he wouldn't sleep in with out the binky, that is ok. I hope after a few weeks he will figure it out again (also should be better when his teeth come in)

He got his toy this morning. And seems to have no problem that his precious binkys are gone. I kept telling him he is a big boy now and his response is "no, I baby" haha. I also remind him why he got the toy and that I "threw away the binkys" and then he recites, with a smile on his face, "bink all gone"

Yes, yes it is!


1 comment:

bethany said...

YAY Mason you big boy! That is sooo funny! Ella did the same thing when I weaned her off her bink, but she started sleeping better as the nights went on. I remember rocking her one night thinking... I should just go get her paci! Stick with it! Woo hoo!

(and hope his teethers start feeling better. Ick huh:))